One day this week it dawned on me how much I was using my phone during self isolation when the only time I put it down was to my Yoga session. That’s one hour of the 14 or so hours I was up for the day. I was then inspired to write a list of things I could be doing instead, so that I can start to implement them and discipline myself to put down my phone for more than 1 hour at a time.
The main things I’ve been doing are: trying not to touch my phone within the first hour of waking, including writing a to do list for the day in the morning. Also making a point to not use my phone when I’m eating so that I can be present with my food and focus on that. And the last thing is reading before bed, so putting my phone on silent face down on the side, picking up my book and reading at least one chapter before going to sleep (I’m currently reading Me Before You by Jojo Moyes).
So, here’s the list:
- Yoga/Stretch class
- Meditate (there’s lots of guided sessions on Spotify and Youtube)
- Walk/Run Outside
- Cook a delicious meal or bake some sweet treats
- Drawing or colouring – there are some great adult colouring books out there!
- Practise hand lettering
- Read a Book – fiction or non fiction!
- Make a list of things that make you happy
- Journalling or gratitude lists daily
- Organise or rearrange your room
- Make a charity bag with what you find in your clear out
- Play games with whoever is in your household – we made our flat into an assault course last night and it was genuinely the most fun I’ve had in a while, I felt like a kid again!
- DIY/Craft – Pinterest is your best friend for this – find things around your house that you could make something out of!
- Make a scrapbook – This could be out of anything you have lying around – photos, drawings, concert/theatre tickets, even your favourite food packets.
I hope this list gives you at least one thing to do, and please let me know if you try any! Also let me know if you have any more ideas to add.